Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Meeting People Where They Are Ready To Be

I have had a series of interesting conversations recently. Interesting, as each conversation was on an entirely different topic, but each had a central theme- trying to engage people to follow a vision.

One conversation was a non-profit. Another, a corporate initiative. A third, a friend looking to get a group together for an event. Each person I chatted with was struggling with ‘being ahead of the others’ in their thoughts, planning, or execution.

Each time I remembered a quote I read from a consultant (I apologize in advance as I do not remember who or where this came from). The quote she had was, “you have to meet people where they are ready to be, before you can lead them down the path to an entirely new zone.”

The quote was in reference to introducing ‘green’ initiatives into corporations, but has a much broader application to nearly anything and everything…. As my conversations confirmed.

The best way to enable people to see, share and follow your vision is to first meet them where they are ready to be. Meet them, work with them, enable them to share in the process, and become engaged. Empower them to help craft the future of where you want to go, and be flexible in how you get there.

The rewards will be amazing, and your vision will be realized.

No comments: