Friday, April 18, 2008

Are You Being Heard?

I just got done taking my 19 month old son for a hair cut. Personally, my ears are ringing like I just got out of a metal concert.

Throughout the ordeal, my guilt for my son’s screaming escalated. I found myself profusely apologizing to anyone in earshot (the whole barbershop) for his tirade. Then the barber paused, looked at me, and in the kindest words said, ‘you are the only one its affecting.’

What? With that decibel level? With that red face? With those forced tears?

I looked around. Another customer was casually chatting with his barber. Waiting customers were leafing through magazines. They were oblivious to the rant.

Why? Could they have been there and done that before- and therefore they were de-sensitized? Could it have been lost among the clutter? Could it be that the screaming was not as loud as I thought it was?

At this point I do not know. What I do know is that it made me stop and think: When I communicate, am I really being heard?

No comments: